With the advent of the Mac App Store, the apps I use have been upended considerably, especially since MAS apps actually install to the Dock, instead to another place within OS X, which is actually kind of surprising.
WHAT I USE OF THE BUILT-IN APPS:
- Finder: This is always in the Dock, I don’t think that this can essentially be removed, except on pain of death.
- App Store: The new Dock-sitter, ever since Mac OS X 10.6.6 came out. Some very neat apps, but most of the apps are excruciatingly expensive, especially for college students. And Apple not providing app redemption codes is a bit underhanded, especially because for those of us who are broke college students, we would have to scrimp and save our money just to get, say, Borderlands Game of the Year edition on the Mac App Store.
- QuickTime Player X: Since I use Snow Leopard, I tend to always come back to this. This is usually in my Dock most times.
- Mail: This app is another one that tends to be in my Dock as well. Usually, I’m in this just to check my email when I’m not at my iPhone at the current moment.
- Safari: Absolute must-have for me, and I use it all the time.
- iTunes: Ditto.
WHAT I USE OF THE OTHER APPS:
- NetNewsWire: Another app I use all of the time, it’s basically my way to keep up-to-date with all the things I would like to keep up with.
- Miro: Another app I use all of the time, and I usually use it to keep up with YouTube users I like to follow.
- Twitter for Mac: The replacement to Tweetie for Mac, but the ever-changing icon, especially in the early days, was HIGHLY annoying.
- EyeTV: I made a post a week or two ago about EyeTV, but this one is my favourite app in the bunch.
- 1Password: After the Gawker Media breach, this became my lifeline, and now permanently sits in my Dock.
- Word & Excel 2011: Well, I had to start using Office 2011, and I actually can somewhat understand and enjoy using these new versions, but it is no replacement for my preferred word processor of choice (and my spreadsheet of choice has changed).
- Steam for Mac: Whatever, I appreciate looking through different stores!
- Angry Birds: Oh come on, how can I not have Angry Birds?? I’m addicted, just like the rest of you!
APPS THAT HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE DOCK AND/OR FROM THE COMPUTER SINCE THE LAST WHAT I USE POST:
- Pages (haven’t picked up the MAS version yet)
- Tweetie for Mac (replaced by Twitter for Mac, above)